Whisper is now the top drama airing these days thanks to its 4th episode last week that achieved a remarkable 15.0 %. That number is 1.2 percentage points (pp) higher than the 3rd episode rating. Given that it is safe to say that it will still dominate the competition this week.
Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People suffered from a drop in ratings from 12.9 to 12.5 %. Compared to the week of Mar 20-26, these values are also lower by about 1 %. However, these numbers are still good for MBC, especially for a sageuk drama that is at least 30 episodes long. Similarly, KBS’s Perfect Wife lost about 1 % last week compared to the week of Mar 20-26 when it finally breached the 6.0 % mark. This is how it works in the ratings game; the increase in one results to a decrease in another. When Whisper gained that much, Rebel and Perfect suffered a loss.
After rising to 1.8 % last last week, The Liar and His Lover is back to a record below 1.5 %. Its first episode last week posted 1.435 %, a number that barely increased in the second. Last week was its third week already, so the chance for it to break the rating slump of tvN is quite small right now.
For the Wednesday-Thursday schedule, Mystery Queen started its run very well at 11.2 % but lost 1.7 percentage points in its second episode. Does that mean people don’t care about a crime-mystery drama led by an ajumma? We can’t say yes for sure until Wednesday night when its 3rd episode airs. Meanwhile, Radiant Office is still rising and finally reached over 7 % last week. Its even episode actually recorded a decrease in ratings from its odd episode, but that is just 0.1 pp. Saimdang, Liht’s Diary also had a good record last week and gained 0.2 pp. It remained below 10 % though.
Chicago Typewriter premiered last week with ratings over 2 %, hinting a possible comeback of tvN’s popularity in the Friday-Saturday schedule. The drama started with 2.649 % and gained 0.173 pp to end its first week at nearly 3 %. Meanwhile, Strong Woman Do Bong Soon is still maintaining its trend, experiencing a drop in the first episode of the week and gaining a significant increase in the second. It remains to be seen if it can actually break another record for JTBC but that is not easy to do considering that it is about to end this week.
Over at OCN, Tunnel failed to surpass its record high of 4.2 % in the previous week but still managed to break through 4.0 % in its even episode last week. Its change in percentage points is at 0.52, the third highest among the CPP of dramas last week just next to Whisper and Strong Woman Do Bong Soon.Ratings Summary: April 3-9, 2017 (The Change in Percentage Points, or CPP, is equal to Even Episode Rating minus Odd Episode Rating). All rating values are expressed in %.
|Date||Drama||Odd Episode||Even Episode||CPP|
|Apr 3-4||Perfect Wife||5.3||5.6||0.3|
|Apr 3-4||Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People||12.9||12.5||-0.4|
|Apr 3-4||The Liar and His Lover||1.435||1.46||0.025|
|Apr 5-6||Mystery Queen||11.2||9.5||-1.7|
|Apr 5-6||Radiant Office||7.4||7.3||-0.1|
|Apr 5-6||Saimdang, Light's Diary||9.4||9.6||0.2|
|Apr 7-8||Strong Woman Do Bong Soon||7.448||8.597||1.149|
|Apr 7-8||Chicago Typewriter||2.649||2.822||0.173|
Whisper now occupies the top spot in the ranking and we see its position fixed in the coming weeks unless it goes bad in the middle of its run. Rebel remains ahead of Saimdang while Radiant Office finally took over the spot previously occupied by Perfect Wife, which is now at the bottom. Mystery Queen, meanwhile is at top 4 but it will probably go down in the ranking this week if it fails to sustain its over 9 % ratings.
tvN’s Chicago Typewriter ranks behind Tunnel and Strong Woman which occupies the second and first spot, respectively. Although it may still hold the same spot for this week, it might be able to surpass Tunnel next week as Strong Woman Do Bong Soon exits from the competition on April 15.
- Average ratings: 4.9 %
- Highest rating: 6.4 % (episode 9)
- Lowest rating: 3.5% (episodes 5 & 7)
- Average change in percentage points: + 0.15 %
Rebel:Thief Who Stole the People
- Average ratings: 11.2 %
- Highest rating: 13.9 % (episode 18)
- Lowest rating: 8.8 % (episode 16)
- Average change in percentage points: + 0.19 %
- Average ratings: 14.0 %
- Highest rating: 15.0 % (episode 4)
- Lowest rating: 13.4 % (episode 2)
- Average change in percentage points: + 0.37 %
The Liar and His Lover
- Average ratings: 1.492 %
- Highest rating: 1.839 % (episode 4)
- Lowest rating: 1.267 % (episode 3)
- Average change in percentage points: – 0.013 %
- Average ratings: 10.4 %
- Highest rating: 11.2 % (episode 1)
- Lowest rating: 9.5 % (episode 2)
- Average change in percentage points: – 1.7 % (biggest loser)
- Average ratings: 5.3 %
- Highest rating: 7.4 % (episode 7)
- Lowest rating: 3.8 % (episodes 1 and 2)
- Average change in percentage points: + 0.50 % (biggest gainer)
Saimdang, Light’s Diary
- Average ratings: 10.8 %
- Highest rating: 16.3 % (episode 1)
- Lowest rating: 9.0 % (episode 19)
- Average change in percentage points: – 0.32 %
Strong Woman Do Bong Soon
- Average ratings: 7.543 %
- Highest rating: 9.668 % (episode 10)
- Lowest rating: 3.829 % (episode 1)
- Average change in percentage points: + 0.367 %
- Average ratings: 2.736 %
- Highest rating: 2.822 % (episode 2)
- Lowest rating: 2.649 % (episode 1)
- Average change in percentage points: + 0.173 %
Suggested Content: Korean Drama Rating from August 14 to 20, 2017. Read the highlights here.
- Average ratings: 3.540 %
- Highest rating: 4.228 % (episode 3)
- Lowest rating: 2.760 % (episode 1)
- Average change in percentage points: + 0.256 %