It’s the fifth day of Dramatop, a post series here in Kdramapal that ranks Korean dramas based on their average nationwide ratings. You are making yourself informed right now of the dramas in 2016 that were mostly watched by many Koreans. From Monster (top 10), Jealousy Incarnate (top 9), and W-Two Worlds (top 8), we now move to the drama that holds the 7th place. That’s for free-to-air channels alone (free-to-air refer to those channels that air for free in Korea). We also recognize the top 10 in cable TV and so far we have 38 Task Force (top 10), Let’s Fight Ghost (top 9), and Drinking Solo (top 8) on the list.
Free-to-Air TV Top 7: Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho (12.88 %)
Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho is the first KBS drama in the top 10 list (and we assure you it’s not the last). It was a definite winner during its run, beating out SBS’ Jackpot and MBC’s Monster by a wide margin. The drama premiered in March last year with ratings that already surpassed the 10% mark, a value that is considered an achievement already considering that many shows air on FTA and cable channels nowadays. In fact, it’s one of the only seven prime-time shows in 2016 whose first episode ratings reached over 10%. It continued to perform well until its 10th episode, dropped a little on its 11th and rose again up to 17.3% for its finale. That record made Neighborhood the first hit Mon-Tue drama of KBS and urged plans to extend it by a few more episodes. The extension was not realized though due to conflict with Park Shin-yang’s schedule.
Director: Lee Jeong-seob & Lee Eun-jin Writer: Lee Hyang-hee Main Cast: Park Shin-yang, Kang So-ra, Ryu Soo-young & Park Sol-mi Broadcast Period: March 28 – May 31, 2016 (Mon-Tue) Time-slot Rivals: Jackpot & Monster
Cable TV Top 7: The Good Wife (4.67 %)
Two of the dramas tvN produced last year are adaptations of American television series and The Good Wife happened to be the first and the successful one (the other is a complete flop in terms of ratings). On average, its ratings stayed within the 4-6% range and its finale reached 6.23%. Hey! We’re talking about cable dramas here, so 6% is no small number. The premiere is actually impressive already, so it’s good news for the drama that it managed to finish a successful run despite the ups and downs in the middle. But how did this drama attained such record? And why didn’t it fail like the other when both are remakes of US series that significantly differ from kdramas? You may want to watch both dramas to find the answer for yourself and make the judgment. Anyway, we recognize tvN’s efforts to offer something different last year with its remake of American shows. After all, it’s the Total VARIETY Network.
Director: Lee Jeong-hyo Writer: Han Sang-woon Main Cast: Jeon Do-yeon, Yoo Ji-tae, & Yoon Kye-sang Broadcast Period: July 8 – August 27, 2016 (Fri-Sat) Time-slot Rivals: Mirror of the Witch & Age of Youth
To see all the list of rankings on one page, go to the Korean Drama Rankings 2016.
(Dramatop: Korean Drama Rankings 2016 is a Kdramapal post series that ranks kdramas based on their nationwide average viewership ratings from Nielsen Korea. It includes in its ranking only prime time dramas that air from Monday to Saturday. We ensure the accuracy of our ranking result by collecting data directly from Nielsen Korea’s website and other reliable sources. If you have feedback or questions regarding the rankings and this post series in general, you can send them to [email protected], message us via Facebook, or comment on the post below.)
- Dramatop Introduction: 50 kdramas included in 2016 ranking
- Monster, 38 Task Force join the top 10 dramas of 2016
- Jealousy Incarnate, Let’s Fight Ghost ranks 9th among 2016 dramas
- W, Drinking Solo rank 8th among 2016 dramas
- Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho, The Good Wife occupy 7th place
- Remember, The K2 place 6th in top dramas of 2016
- Legend of the Blue Sea, Dear My Friends rank 5th among 2016 dramas
- Moonlight Drawn by Clouds, Cheese in the Trap secure status as 4th highest rated drama in 2016
- Doctors, Oh Hae Young Again rank third among 2016 kdramas
- Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim, Signal hold record as 2nd highest rated drama in 2016
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin achieve highest TV ratings among kdramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated KBS dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated MBC dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated SBS dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Mon-Tue dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Wed-Thu dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Fri-Sat dramas in 2016
- Legend of the Blue Sea, Goblin top drama ranking based on first episode ratings
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin top drama ranking based on final episode ratings
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin still no. 1 in drama ranking based on peak ratings
- Complete ranking of Korean dramas in 2016 based on viewer ratings