KBS’s 2016 historical drama Moonlight Drawn By Clouds won the Excellent Korean Drama award at this year’s Seoul International Drama Awards that took place in KBS Hall, Seoul on September 7. The said award ceremony is held annually by the Korean Broadcasters Association since 2006 to recognize quality television drama productions from around the world.
For the Korean drama award categories, Moonlight Drawn By Clouds bagged the highest prize while MBC’s W-Two Worlds and SBS’s Doctors tied for the Outstanding Korean Drama award. Kim Sung-yoon, the director of Moonlight Drawn By Clouds, received the award on behalf of the drama’s production team.
Moonlight Drawn By Clouds is a rom-com historical drama focusing on a Joseon crown prince, played by Park Bo-gum, as he navigates the political situation facing him and falls in love with a woman, played by Kim Yoo-jung, who has pretended as a man and worked in the palace as a eunuch. The series was a hit last year and has solidified the popularity of Park Bo-gum, who won the Outstanding Korean Actor award at the said ceremony for his performance in the drama.
Meanwhile, Park Bo-young of Strong Woman Do Bong Soon received the Outstanding Korean Actress award while singer-songwriter Ailee was awarded the Oustanding Korean Drama OST for her song “I Will Go to You Like the First Snow,” the ninth part of the OST of the hit fantasy romance drama Goblin.
The Excellent Korean Drama award was first given in 2011. It is the first time in the history of the ceremony that the two consecutive winning dramas come from the same TV network. The recipient of the award last year is also a KBS series—the massively popular Descendants of the Sun that took the world by storm. The winners in the previous years are Kill Me, Heal Me (2015), My Love From The Star (2014), Arang and the Magistrate (2013), Rooftop Prince (2012), and Mary Stayed Out All Night (2011).
The Seoul International Drama Awards celebrates its 12th anniversary this year with record-breaking 66 dramas from 55 countries. The awarding ceremony was supposed to be broadcast live on television but got canceled as a result of the ongoing general strike at KBS. The organizer announced that KBS2 will air the recorded broadcast on September 8 at 12 A.M. Korean Standard Time.
The complete list of winners can be viewed through the official website of the Seoul International Drama Awards.
[UPDATES] Check out the complete list of winners below. KBS’s single-episode drama Red Teacher starring Lee Dong-hwi and Jung So-min won the Silver Bird Prize for the short drama section, beating contenders from other countries. Meanwhile, the Most Popular Foreign Drama of the Year prize was given to Mozart in the Jungle Season 3. This award has been given to foreign dramas that have been widely beloved and acclaimed by the Korean audience.
- Program Category
- Grand Prize: “This Is Us” (United States)
- TV Movie Golden Bird Prize (Top Excellence Award for Short Drama): “Redemption Road” (Germany)
- TV Movie Silver Bird Prize (Excellence Award For Short Drama): “Red Teacher” (Korea)
- Miniseries Golden Bird Prize (Top Excellence Award for Miniseries): “Please, Love Me” (Belgium)
- Miniseries Silver Bird Prize (Excellence Award for Miniseries): “Deep Water” (Australia)
- Serial Drama Golden Bird Prize (Top Excellence Award for Serial Drama): “The Slave Mother” (Brazil)
- Serial Drama Silver Bird Prize (Excellence Award for Serial Drama): “Brave and Beautiful” (Turkey)
- Comedy Golden Bird Prize (Top Excellence Award for Comedy): “Fleabag” (United Kingdom)
- Individual Category
- Best Director: Urs Egger (Switzerland, “Gotthard”)
- Best Writer: Rodica Doehnert (Austria, “Das Sacher”)
- Best Actor: Kerem Bursin (Turkey, “Heart of the City”)
- Best Actress: Aleksandra Nikiforova (Russia, “Anna Detective”)
- Outstanding Korean Drama Prize
- Excellent Korean Drama (Top Excellence Award for Korean Drama): “Moonlight Drawn By Clouds”
- Outstanding Korean Drama (Excellence Award for Korean Drama): “W-Two Worlds” & “Doctors”
- Oustanding Korean Actor: Park Bo-gum (“Moonlight Drawn By Clouds”)
- Outstanding Korean Actress: Park Bo-young (“Strong Woman Do Bong Soon”)
- Outstanding Korean Drama OST: “I Will Go to You Like the First Snow” (“Goblin”) by Ailee
- Special Prize
- Jury’s Special Prize: “We Are One” (Taiwan) & “P.O.W. Bandi Yudh Ke” (India)
- The Most Popular Foreign Drama of the Year: “Mozart in the Jungle Season 3” (United States)
- Asia Star Award Prize: Debbie Goh (Malaysia), Hyunri (Japan), Satyadeep Mishra (India), Sukollawat Kanarot (Thailand), Gabby Concepcion (Philippines)