We are nearing the top end of our list and we assure you that the remaining dramas are more familiar to you (or to the majority of drama addicts out there) and if you’re a certified kdrama fan, you might have watched all of them already. Today we recognize Moonlight Drawn by Clouds and Cheese in the Trap as the 4th highest rated drama of 2016 in free-to-air and cable TV, respectively.
Free-to-Air TV Top 4: Moonlight Drawn by Clouds (18.29 %)
The second KBS drama in the top 10 list is Moonlight Drawn by Clouds, the show that elevated Park Bo-gum to the status of a very popular actor. This cross-dressing drama posted over 8% ratings for its first week and nearly doubled this number in the following week. That’s pretty impressive, especially if we consider the fact that the much-hyped drama Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo started just a week after Moonlight‘s premiere. That means the handsome princes in Moon Lovers were no match for Park Bo-gum’s crown prince character in Moonlight. The drama continued to dominate in ratings and reached 20% on its 7th episode. Even though its ratings dropped two weeks before its finale, the drama still managed to end its run successfully, achieving a peak and average record of 23.3% and 18.29%, respectively.
Director: Kim Sung-yoon & Baek Sang-hoon Writer: Kim Min-jung & Im Ye-jin Main Cast: Park Bo-gum & Kim Yoo-jung Broadcast Period: August 22 – October 18, 2017 (Mon-Tue) Time-slot Rivals: Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo, Monster & Woman with a Suitcase
Cable TV Top 4: Cheese in the Trap (5.96 %)
tvN had a good start last year because of Cheese in the Trap, a hit drama of the network that started on January 4. Cheese recorded 3.60% in ratings for its first episode and managed to break through 6% in its third week. It saw ups and downs in the middle and if you’re a fan of this drama you might have been aware of the controversy that could have contributed to these changes. It hit the headlines in February last year over the shortening of lead actor Park Hae-jin’s screentime halfway through the show that coincided with the undue focus on his co-star and the second male lead, Seo Kang-joon. Nevertheless, the ratings started to increase again from episode 11 and while it dropped again for episode 15, Cheese still ended its run on a high note with 6.89%, its second highest rating. That’s a massive value for a cable show but it didn’t make the fans satisfied enough. In fact, many viewers expressed their disappointment at how it ended. But regardless of the controversy and the fans’ reaction, Cheese in the Trap is still a hit for tvN and the 4th highest rated drama on cable TV last year.
Director: Lee Yoon-jung Writer: Kim Nam-hee & Go Sun-hee Main Cast: Park Hae-jin, Kim Go-eun & Seo Kang-joon Broadcast Period: January 4 – March 1, 2016 (Mon-Tue)
To see all the list of rankings on one page, go to the Korean Drama Rankings 2016.
(Dramatop: Korean Drama Rankings 2016 is a Kdramapal post series that ranks kdramas based on their nationwide average viewership ratings from Nielsen Korea. It includes in its ranking only prime time dramas that air from Monday to Saturday. We ensure the accuracy of our ranking result by collecting data directly from Nielsen Korea’s website and other reliable sources. If you have feedback or questions regarding the rankings and this post series in general, you can send them to [email protected], message us via Facebook, or comment on the post below.)
- Dramatop Introduction: 50 kdramas included in 2016 ranking
- Monster, 38 Task Force join the top 10 dramas of 2016
- Jealousy Incarnate, Let’s Fight Ghost ranks 9th among 2016 dramas
- W, Drinking Solo rank 8th among 2016 dramas
- Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho, The Good Wife occupy 7th place
- Remember, The K2 place 6th in top dramas of 2016
- Legend of the Blue Sea, Dear My Friends rank 5th among 2016 dramas
- Moonlight Drawn by Clouds, Cheese in the Trap secure status as 4th highest rated drama in 2016
- Doctors, Oh Hae Young Again rank third among 2016 kdramas
- Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim, Signal hold record as 2nd highest rated drama in 2016
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin achieve highest TV ratings among kdramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated KBS dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated MBC dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated SBS dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Mon-Tue dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Wed-Thu dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Fri-Sat dramas in 2016
- Legend of the Blue Sea, Goblin top drama ranking based on first episode ratings
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin top drama ranking based on final episode ratings
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin still no. 1 in drama ranking based on peak ratings
- Complete ranking of Korean dramas in 2016 based on viewer ratings