Weekend cable dramas made the most notable improvements in viewership ratings last week, with JTBC’s Age of Youth surpassing 4 % and tvN’s Live Up To Your Name finally breaking the peak record of its predecessor, Secret Forest. Meanwhile, Manhole: Feel So Good finally ended its 8-week broadcast, setting the record of having the lowest-rated episode ever for any free-to-air drama since 2016.
Date Network Drama Episode No. (/total) Rating
Sep 25 KBS Lingerie Girls' Generation 5/8 4.2
Sep 25 SBS Temperature of Love 5/40 8.2
Sep 25 SBS Temperature of Love 6/40 10.4
Sep 25 tvN Argon 7/8 2.786
Sep 26 KBS Lingerie Girls' Generation 6/8 4.7
Sep 26 SBS Temperature of Love 7/40 8.6
Sep 26 SBS Temperature of Love 8/40 11.0
Sep 26 tvN Argon 8/8 2.761
Sep 27 KBS Manhole: Feel So Good 15/16 1.9
Sep 27 MBC Hospital Ship 17/32 9.8
Sep 27 MBC Hospital Ship 18/32 10.6
Sep 27 SBS While You Were Sleeping 1/32 7.2
Sep 27 SBS While You Were Sleeping 2/32 9.2
Sep 27 tvN Criminal Minds 19/20 2.241
Sep 28 KBS Manhole: Feel So Good 16/16 1.9
Sep 28 MBC Hospital Ship 19/32 9.3
Sep 28 MBC Hospital Ship 20/32 11.3
Sep 28 SBS While You Were Sleeping 3/32 8.3
Sep 28 SBS While You Were Sleeping 4/32 9.2
Sep 28 tvN Criminal Minds 20/20 3.048
Sep 29 JTBC Age of Youth 2 11/14 3.657
Sep 29 JTBC Age of Youth 2 12/14 4.069
Sep 30 tvN Live Up To Your Name 15/16 4.959
Oct 1 tvN Live Up To Your Name 16/16
Korean Drama Rating Highlights
1. Live Up To Your Name surpasses peak rating of Secret Forest. It’s quite an exit for tvN’s medical sageuk time-travel drama as it ended last night with an impressive 6.907 % and stripped Secret Forest of the title of having recorded the highest episode rating for a tvN drama this year. Secret Forest achieved 6.568 % during its final broadcast, so Live Up To Your Name surpassed its record by 0.339 percentage point. Way to go tvN!
2. Age of Youth 2 achieves 4 %. JTBC has proven yet again the recent boom in its own cable Kdramas thanks to the successful sequel Age of Youth 2, which is now the 4th drama in a row that achieved more than satisfying results in terms of viewership ratings. The coming-of-age series managed to record its highest rating on Friday night and surpassed this anew the next day with the 4.069 % recorded by the 12th episode. As a result, it has moved two places up the weekly ranking, beating Criminal Minds and Argon.
3. Temperature of Love surpasses 10 %-mark. It only took a week for this series to achieve double-digit ratings, an improvement we can partly attribute to the lack of a rival over at MBC. 20th Century Boy and Girl was originally planned to premiere last week but MBC changed the schedule due to the general strikes in the past weeks that caused delays in the production. Temperature of Love then went on to obtain 11.0 %. Nice, but can it maintain this record? It didn’t really start as strong as Falsify so most likely, no, assuming that 20th Century Boy and Girl won’t mess up its premiere today.
4. While You Were Sleeping off to a good start with 9.2 %. The newest supernatural romance from SBS premiered with just-OK numbers, but surely these numbers weren’t what SBS expected prior to the drama’s run. To be exact, the drama’s first episode recorded 7.2 % and ended the first week at 9.2 %. It barely affected the ratings of rival Hospital Ship but whether or not it’s going to be the case throughout its broadcast will be revealed this week. The drama should pull off a double-digit-reaping broadcast this Wednesday if it impressed the local audience last week.
5. Criminal Minds finishes 10-week broadcast at 3.048 %. Not bad, but considering that this show started off with record-breaking 4.187 % two months ago makes the drama’s overall performance not good either. It’s full of ups and downs for Criminal Minds but at least it didn’t go below 2 %. The lowest it recorded is 2.036 % and the average stands at 2.772 %.
6. Argon ends at 2.761 %. It did not hit 3 % again but overall the show managed to make a good record for tvN. Argon’s 2.698 % average rating makes it the second highest-rated tvN drama on Mondays and Tuesdays, just next to Bride of the Water God.
7. Manhole: Feel So Good records 1.9 % during finale. It’s a bittersweet ending for Manhole from KBS’s point of view. The network was upset that the drama hit below-2 % again but at the same time, it was relieved that the show already made its exit, ending its 8-week broadcast of embarrassment over very poor ratings (even poorer than the poorest last year—2.6 %, which was recorded by KBS’s Moorim School and SBS’s Come Back Ahjussi). This is not to say that the show is not good but just to emphasize that only a tiny fraction of the Korean audience cared to watch the drama. Despite this, it’s a good thing that the drama recorded an average rating of 2.1 %.
This ranking of ongoing dramas is based on the average nationwide ratings of the dramas’ episodes that aired until October 1, 2017.
Free-to-Air Dramas (dramas from KBS, MBC, and SBS)
- Hospital Ship – 11.0 %
- Temperature of Love – 8.7 %
- While You Were Sleeping – 8.5 %
- Lingerie Girls’ Generation – 4.4 %
- Manhole: Feel So Good – 2.1 %
Cable Dramas (dramas from JTBC, OCN, and tvN)
- Live Up To Your Name – 5.404 %
- Age of Youth 2 – 2.781 %
- Criminal Minds – 2.772 %
- Argon – 2.698 %
*The use of the charts above for whatever purpose is allowed provided that the content using the charts links back to this post or to www.kdramapal.com.
Suggested Content: The Highest-rated Korean Dramas in the 2nd Half of 2017