Among the nine new dramas that started last week, Witch’s Court stands out as the one which gained the most in the second episode. Meanwhile, Temperature of Love set a new record despite the premieres of its two new rivals while The Package posted dismal ratings below 2 %.
Date Network Drama Episode No. (/total) Rating
Oct 9 KBS2 Witch's Court 1/16 6.6
Oct 9 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 1/32 3.9
Oct 9 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 2/32 4.2
Oct 9 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 3/32 3.5
Oct 9 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 4/32 3.1
Oct 9 SBS Temperature of Love 13/40 9.3
Oct 9 SBS Temperature of Love 14/40 11.2
Oct 9 tvN Because This Is My First Life 1/16 2.023
Oct 10 KBS2 Witch's Court 2/16 9.5
Oct 10 SBS Temperature of Love 15/40 8.8
Oct 10 SBS Temperature of Love 16/40 10.3
Oct 10 tvN Because This Is My First Life 2/16 2.647
Oct 11 KBS2 Mad Dog 1/16 5.5
Oct 11 MBC Hospital Ship 25/32 7.5
Oct 11 MBC Hospital Ship 26/32 9.3
Oct 11 SBS While You Were Sleeping 9/32 8.1
Oct 11 SBS While You Were Sleeping 10/32 9.4
Oct 11 tvN Avengers Social Club 1/12 2.900
Oct 12 KBS2 Mad Dog 2/16 4.8
Oct 12 MBC Hospital Ship 27/32 8.5
Oct 12 MBC Hospital Ship 28/32 10.0
Oct 12 SBS While You Were Sleeping 11/32 8.9
Oct 12 SBS While You Were Sleeping 12/32 9.7
Oct 12 tvN Avengers Social Club 2/12 4.636
Oct 13 JTBC The Package 1/12 1.749
Oct 13 KBS2 Go Back Couple 1/16 4.6
Oct 14 JTBC The Package 2/12 1.685
Oct 14 KBS2 Go Back Couple 2/16 6.0
Oct 14 OCN Black 1/16 2.141
Oct 14 tvN Revolutionary Love 1/16 2.501
Oct 15 OCN Black 2/16 3.876
Oct 15 tvN Revolutionary Love 2/16 3.533
Korean Drama Rating Highlights
1. Witch’s Court pulls in almost 10 % during first week. Wow, KBS2’s first ever legal drama this year premiered with a modest 6.6 % but ended the week at 9.5 %, a 2.9 percentage point improvement. Among the nine dramas that started last week, Witch’s Court recorded the biggest leap in just two episodes, signaling a likely competitive broadcast against rival Temperature of Love.
2. Temperature of Love achieves highest rating amid premieres of two rivals. Despite the addition of two new dramas on Mondays and Tuesdays, Temperature of Love continues to record more than good enough numbers and even renewed its highest rating. It managed to achieve 11.2 % last week, breaking the previous highest record of 11.0 %.
3. Avengers Social Club off to a good start with 4.636 %. tvN’s new revenge drama about three revenge-seeking ahjummas premiered with 2.900 % and managed to gain 1.7 percentage point to end the week at a 4.636 %. It’s more rewarding when a show starts as an average drama and goes on to become an achiever (wait, 2.9 % isn’t even average these days especially for tvN). If this trend continues, it seems like tvN will have another hit.
4. Black, Revolutionary Love gets promising start. Black started off with 2.141 % and increased to 3.876 % in the second episode while Revolutionary Love premiered with 2.501 % and ended the week at 3.533 %. These are pretty good numbers for both shows especially if you look at the changes in ratings.
5. Hospital Ship, While You Were Sleeping neck and neck in competition. While You Were Sleeping pulled off its highest-rated broadcast last week, at 9.7 %. However, Hospital Ship remains an arch-rival as the medical drama was trailing the supernatural series very closely. With the very small difference and fluctuations in ratings, you can’t really tell which one dominates.
6. 20th Century Boy And Girl suffers from low viewership. MBC aired four episodes of 20th Century Boy And Girl back to back on Monday but it did not do good for the drama and instead resulted in a poor rating of 3.1 %. It would be hard for the show to recover significantly this week given the strength of its rivals.
7. The Package starts off with ratings below 2 %. JTBC’s third pre-produced drama this year is a complete flop as far as the first week is concerned. It premiered with 1.749 % which dropped to 1.685 % in the second episode. But it still has 10 episodes left to maintain the status quo of JTBC dramas’ performance in ratings.
This ranking of ongoing dramas is based on the average nationwide ratings of the dramas’ episodes that aired until October 15, 2017.
Free-to-Air Dramas (dramas from KBS, MBC, and SBS)
- Hospital Ship – 10.1 %
- Temperature of Love – 9.2 %
- While You Were Sleeping – 8.2 %
- Witch’s Court – 8.1 %
- Go Back Couple – 5.3 %
- Mad Dog – 5.2 %
- 20th Century Boy and Girl – 3.7 %
Cable Dramas (dramas from JTBC, OCN, and tvN)
- Avengers Social Club – 3.768 %
- Revolutionary Love – 3.017 %
- Black – 3.009 %
- Because This Is My First Life – 2.335 %
- The Package – 1.717 %
*The use of the charts above for whatever purpose is allowed provided that the content using the charts links back to this post or to www.kdramapal.com.
Suggested Content: The Highest-rated Korean Dramas in the 2nd Half of 2017