Go Back Couple is last week’s most notable gainer, pulling in a remarkable 6.7 % after hovering just around less than 5 % in the previous weeks. Meanwhile, Witch’s Court suffered from its biggest loss yet after dropping from 11 % to 7.6 % while Hospital Ship ended its 10-week successful broadcast with an average of 9.5 %.
Date Network Drama Episode No. (/total) Rating
Oct 30 KBS2 Witch's Court 7/16 7.6
Oct 30 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 13/32 2.8
Oct 30 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 14/32 3.1
Oct 30 SBS Temperature of Love 23/32 6.5
Oct 30 SBS Temperature of Love 24/32 7.9
Oct 30 tvN Because This Is My First Life 7/16 3.266
Oct 31 KBS2 Witch's Court 8/16 9.3
Oct 31 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 15/32 3.3
Oct 31 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 16/32 3.5
Oct 31 SBS Temperature of Love 25/32 6.8
Oct 31 SBS Temperature of Love 26/32 9.0
Oct 31 tvN Because This Is My First Life 8/16 3.779
Nov 1 KBS2 Mad Dog 7/16 5.5
Nov 1 MBC Hospital Ship 37/40 7.2
Nov 1 MBC Hospital Ship 38/40 9.0
Nov 1 SBS While You Were Sleeping 21/32 6.9
Nov 1 SBS While You Were Sleeping 22/32 8.4
Nov 1 tvN Avengers Social Club 7/12 4.802
Nov 2 KBS2 Mad Dog 8/16 5.6
Nov 2 MBC Hospital Ship 39/40 7.2
Nov 2 MBC Hospital Ship 40/40 8.6
Nov 2 SBS While You Were Sleeping 23/32 7.3
Nov 2 SBS While You Were Sleeping 24/32 8.6
Nov 2 tvN Avengers Social Club 8/12 4.925
Nov 3 JTBC The Package 7/12 2.041
Nov 3 KBS2 Go Back Couple 7/16 5.8
Nov 4 JTBC The Package 8/12 1.705
Nov 4 KBS2 Go Back Couple 8/16 6.7
Nov 4 OCN Black 7/16 3.850
Nov 4 tvN Revolutionary Love 7/16 2.792
Nov 5 OCN Black 8/16 3.247
Nov 5 tvN Revolutionary Love 8/16 2.494
Korean Drama Rating Highlights
1. Go Back Couple breaks through 6 %. KBS2’s time-travel romcom has been enjoying an increase in ratings for the last three consecutive episodes which resulted in a new all-time high record of 6.7 %. The drama already reached 6 % during its first week but it failed to achieve a similar or better result until last week. It seems like the series is getting more viewers every new episode, so if this trend continues, reaching 7 to 8 % is only a matter of time.
2. The Package surpasses 2 %. This completely pre-produced drama is not doing well as far as the local TV audience is concerned. It managed to hit 2.0 % for its 7th episode last week but it then decreased to 1.705 % the following day. It has 4 episodes left, so it would be hard for the drama to completely change its course and overturn its suffering (from very low viewership) since the pilot week.
3. Hospital Ship ends broadcast with 8.6 %. The Hospital Ship finally arrived at its final destination last week, gaining a final audience share of 8.6 % which is lower than its premiere episode rating of 10.6 %. The medical series consistently enjoyed double-digit viewership since its first week until around the time when While You Were Sleeping came in. It could have reaped a double-digit average should a strong rival did not ruin the game. However, it did not lose to While You Were Sleeping by a considerably large margin and since it got an average of 9.5 %, overall the ship has had a smooth sailing.
4. Witch’s Court suffers from sudden drop in ratings. From 11.0 % for episode 6, the series lost 3.4 percentage points during last week’s episode 7 and recorded 7.6 %. It went up the next day to 9.3 % but this number is still far below the record the drama has been keeping from episodes 4 to 6. And while all of that was happening, Temperature of Love managed to dominate the ratings on Monday albeit by a small margin of 0.3 percentage point. One reason that could explain Witch’s Court’s unprecedented drop in ratings on that day is that it aired one hour later (11 pm) than the regular schedule (10 pm), leaving Temperature of Love with one less drama rival to beat.
5. 20th Century Boy and Girl records lowest rating again. This MBC romcom started at around its average the previous week (3.5 %) but ended up going far below that number and setting a new all-time low rating of 2.8 %, which is lower than the previous record by 0.2 percentage point.
6. Revolutionary Love hits lowest rating. If JTBC is taking a break from airing dramas that do very well in ratings (because of the low-rated The Package), so does its rival tvN. Revolutionary Love, tvN’s weekend rom-com, seems least likely now to duplicate the success of its predecessors—Secret Forest and Live Up To Your Name—given its ratings that hover around 2.8 % and its latest drop in rating to an all-time low of 2.494 %. These numbers are still considered good enough by cable standards but they are way lower than what the drama’s predecessors recorded.
This ranking of ongoing dramas is based on the average nationwide ratings of the dramas’ episodes that aired until November 5, 2017.
Free-to-Air Dramas (dramas from KBS, MBC, and SBS)
- Witch’s Court – 9.5 %
- Hospital Ship – 9.5 %
- Temperature of Love – 8.6 %
- While You Were Sleeping – 8.2 %
- Mad Dog – 5.8 %
- Go Back Couple – 5.5 %
- 20th Century Boy and Girl – 3.4 %
Cable Dramas (dramas from JTBC, OCN, and tvN)
- Avengers Social Club – 4.742 %
- Black – 3.635 %
- Because This Is My First Life – 3.096 %
- Revolutionary Love – 3.073 %
- The Package – 1.808 %
*The use of the charts above for whatever purpose is allowed provided that the content using the charts links back to this post or to www.kdramapal.com.
Suggested Content: The Highest-rated Korean Dramas in the 2nd Half of 2017