A total of five dramas concluded their broadcast last week with Witch’s Court, Mad Dog, and Because This Is My First Life achieving their highest rating during the finale. Two new series, meanwhile, started airing and it’s SBS’s Doubtful Victory that emerged as winner of the week. With old dramas leaving and new ones coming to heat up the competition, December is sure a busy month for all the avid fans out there.
Date Network Drama Episode No. (/total) Rating
November 27 KBS2 Witch's Court 15/16 11.9
November 27 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 29/32 3.2
November 27 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 30/32 3.5
November 27 MBC Two Cops 1/32 4.6
November 27 MBC Two Cops 2/32 5.1
November 27 SBS Doubtful Victory 1/40 5.0
November 27 SBS Doubtful Victory 2/40 5.4
November 27 tvN Because This Is My First Life 15/16 3.786
November 28 KBS2 Witch's Court 16/16 14.3
November 28 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 31/32 2.8
November 28 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 32/32 4.0
November 28 MBC Two Cops 3/32 3.3
November 28 MBC Two Cops 4/32 3.6
November 28 SBS Doubtful Victory 3/40 4.5
November 28 SBS Doubtful Victory 4/40 4.9
November 28 tvN Because This Is My First Life 16/16 4.931
November 29 KBS2 Mad Dog 15/16 7.5
November 29 SBS Nothing to Lose 5/32 6.0
November 29 SBS Nothing to Lose 6/32 7.5
November 29 tvN Prison Playbook 3/16 4.698
November 30 KBS2 Mad Dog 16/16 9.7
November 30 SBS Nothing to Lose 7/32 6.7
November 30 SBS Nothing to Lose 8/32 6.6
November 30 tvN Prison Playbook 4/16 5.468
December 1 JTBC Untouchable 3/16 2.314
December 2 JTBC Untouchable 4/16 3.357
December 2 KBS2 My Golden Life 27/50 35.7
December 2 MBC Money Flower 7/24 11.1
December 2 MBC Money Flower 8/24 15.3
December 2 SBS Bravo My Life 21/60 7.4
December 2 SBS Bravo My Life 22/60 8.3
December 2 SBS Bravo My Life 23/60 8.6
December 2 SBS Bravo My Life 24/60 8.7
December 2 OCN Black 15/18 2.453
December 2 tvN Revolutionary Love 15/16 2.418
December 3 KBS2 My Golden Life 28/50 38.8
December 3 MBC Man Who Sets The Table 25/50 10.4
December 3 MBC Man Who Sets The Table 26/50 15.1
December 3 OCN Black 16/18 3.470
December 3 tvN Revolutionary Love 16/16 3.306
Korean Drama Rating Highlights
1. Witch’s Court pulls in 14.3 % during finale; 20th Century Boy and Girl gets 4.0 %. KBS2’s legal drama Witch Court ended its successful run last week with an impressive 14.3 %, its highest record that caused the average rating to increase further to 10.6 % (which is as good as Fight For My Way‘s 10.9 %). It’s a welcome news for the network that suffered a sluggish performance from the series’ predecessors—Lingerie Girls Generation and School 2017. On the other hand, MBC’s rom-com 20th Century Boy and Girl managed to break through 4.0 % again (after 24 episodes). This number still implies low viewership albeit it is the drama’s highest rating in the last six weeks.
2. Prison Playbook renews peak rating. The latest drama from PD Shin Won-ho of Reply 1988 suffered a slight drop in rating on episode 3 but it recovered quickly to end the week with 5.468 %. This is now its peak rating, breaking the previous record (5.381 %) it obtained during the pilot week. If Prison Playbook continues to entice more viewers into following its story, then it’s only a matter of time before it surpasses 6.0 %.
3. Doubtful Victory emerges victorious against Two Cops. Two new Mon-Tue crime dramas premiered last week—SBS’s Doubtful Victory and MBC’s Two Cops. The former beat the latter (5.0 % versus 4.6 %) by a small margin during the very first episode but the gap went on to increase the next day (4.5 % versus 3.3 %). The noticeable drop in ratings for both shows can be explained partly by the successful ending of Witch’s Court. Also, one might ask why Two Cops premiered when 20th Century Boy and Girl was still airing at that time. MBC can’t afford to air its new drama a week later than Doubtful Victory‘s schedule, so it went on to broadcast 20th Century Boy and Girl one hour earlier than its original airing time and had Two Cops aired at 10 pm against Doubtful Victory.
4. Because This Is My First Life ends broadcast with almost 5 %. tvN’s slice-of-life romance drama concluded its 8-week run with a 4.931 % achievement, just a little away from the coveted 5 %. This is a very decent final rating though, and the series getting an average of 3.5 % is still something the cable network can be proud of. In terms of average ratings, Because This Is My First Life has actually become the highest-rated Mon-Tue tvN drama, beating the globally popular Bride of the Water God and the much-loved Circle.
5. Mad Dog achieves highest rating on final episode. Mad Dog also aired its final episode last week and did so with 9.7 % in audience share, which is quite remarkable considering that its average rating stands at only 6.6 %. Nothing To Lose saw a slight decrease as a result.
6. Revolutionary Love concludes broadcast with 3.3. Revolutionary Love failed to sustain tvN’s high drama viewership on weekends when it ended with 3.306 % in ratings and got an average of only 2.911 %. These numbers pale in comparison with what Secret Forest and Live Up To Your Name achieved. They are not pretty bad though; the network may have a better luck next time with a family melodrama from the screenwriter of Dear My Friends and a fantasy romance series from the Hong Sisters.
This ranking of ongoing dramas (excluding weekend series from KBS2, MBC, and SBS) is based on the average nationwide ratings of the dramas’ episodes that aired until December 3, 2017.
Free-to-Air Dramas (dramas from KBS, MBC, and SBS)
- Witch’s Court – 10.6 %
- Nothing To Lose – 7.1 %
- Mad Dog – 6.4 %
- Doubtful Victory – 4.8 %
- Two Cops – 4.2 %
- 20th Century Boy and Girl – 3.1 %
Cable Dramas (dramas from JTBC, OCN, and tvN)
- Prison Playbook – 5.046 %
- Because This Is My First Life – 3.502 %
- Black – 3.285 %
- Revolutionary Love – 2.911 %
- Untouchable – 2.822 %
(not available this week)
*The use of the charts above for whatever purpose is allowed provided that the content using the charts links back to this post or to www.kdramapal.com.
Suggested Content: The Highest-rated Korean Dramas in the 2nd Half of 2017