Prison Playbook is poised to duplicate the success of Reply 1988. This is a daring statement backed by the series’ successful and record-breaking premiere that became the highest-rated drama pilot episode on cable TV so far in 2017. Meanwhile, free-to-air rom-com 20th Century Boy and Girl has continued its sufferring from poor viewership, dropping to an all-time low rating of 1.8 %.
Date Network Drama Episode No. (/total) Rating
Nov 20 KBS2 Witch's Court 13/16 10.9
Nov 20 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 25/32 1.8
Nov 20 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 26/32 2.1
Nov 20 SBS Temperature of Love 35/40 6.1
Nov 20 SBS Temperature of Love 36/40 7.5
Nov 20 tvN Because This Is My First Life 13/16 3.545
Nov 21 KBS2 Witch's Court 14/16 12.6
Nov 21 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 27/32 2.1
Nov 21 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 28/32 2.3
Nov 21 SBS Temperature of Love 37/40 6.7
Nov 21 SBS Temperature of Love 38/40 7.7
Nov 21 SBS Temperature of Love 39/40 8.4
Nov 21 SBS Temperature of Love 40/40 8.2
Nov 21 tvN Because This Is My First Life 14/16 4.236
Nov 22 KBS2 Mad Dog 13/16 7.4
Nov 22 SBS Nothing To Lose 1/32 6.9
Nov 22 SBS Nothing To Lose 2/32 8.0
Nov 22 tvN Prison Playbook 1/16 4.638
Nov 23 KBS2 Mad Dog 14/16 8.3
Nov 23 SBS Nothing To Lose 3/32 7.2
Nov 23 SBS Nothing To Lose 4/32 7.6
Nov 23 tvN Prison Playbook 2/16 5.381
Nov 24 JTBC Untouchable 1/16 2.291
Nov 25 JTBC Untouchable 2/16 3.324
Nov 25 KBS2 My Golden Life 25/50 34.7
Nov 25 MBC Money Flower 5/24 11.4
Nov 25 MBC Money Flower 6/24 15.1
Nov 25 OCN Black 13/16 2.532
Nov 25 tvN Revolutionary Love 13/16 2.729
Nov 26 KBS2 My Golden Life 26/50 39.0
Nov 26 MBC Man Who Sets The Table 23/50 12.2
Nov 26 MBC Man Who Sets The Table 24/50 14.5
Nov 26 OCN Black 14/16 3.038
Nov 26 tvN Revolutionary Love 14/16 2.568
Korean Drama Rating Highlights
1. Prison Playbook off to a record-breaking start. Wow, this new cable show hit 5 % in ratings right off the bat and easily unseated Criminal Minds from the top spot in the list of dramas with highest pilot episode ratings by pulling in 4.638 %. This figure is by no means a small feat by cable TV standards, so it’s obvious that the viewers anticipated very much the return of a PD Shin Won-ho drama on the screen. Setting that record is hard enough, but maintaining or improving it is even harder to do in the next weeks to come. The folks at tvN must be keeping their fingers crossed for this show to achieve a Goblin or Reply-like success. For more details, click the related news here.
2. My Golden Life nears 40 %-mark. 25-30 % is not that hard to achieve for prime time weekend dramas, but reaching or surpassing 40 % is a completely different level. The last series to have made such a record is What Happens To My Family. That was over two years ago, and now My Golden Life seems very likely to achieve a similar feat with its impressive and very high viewership halfway through its run. Since it still has 24 episodes left to air, it can even break through 45 %.
3. Because This Is My First Life, Witch’s Court, & Mad Dog renew highest rating. Because This Is My First Life, tvN’s show about marriage and relationships as perceived by today’s youth, has hit 4 % again and set a new highest record at 4.236 %. Another Monday-Tuesday drama, Witch’s Court, also made a similar achievement by obtaining 12.6 % which beats the previous record by 0.3 percentage point. Meanwhile, KBS2’s Mad Dog pulled in an amazing 8.3 % despite the start of a new series over at SBS (Nothing To Lose). This is its peak rating so far, which is probably caused as well by the premiere of a new rival (in other words, the absence of While You Were Sleeping in the competition).
4. Untouchable starts off with 3.324 %. The 2 % during the premiere night is not bad at all but this newest series from JTBC made a big leap right after that episode, so JTBC is probably hoping for it to recover quickly from the sluggish performance of The Package.
5. Temperature of Love ends broadcast with 8.2 %. The 10-week broadcast of Temperature of Love is finally over with the series airing 4 consecutive episodes on its last day that culminated in 8.2 %, which is close to the overall average of 8.0 %. This series had actually the potential to reap double-digit viewership until Witch Court came in.
6. 20th Century Boy and Girl suffers more from very low viewership. This MBC romantic comedy obtained a 1.8 % nationwide audience share on November 20, thus becoming the second free-to-air Kdrama this year to record a rating less than 2 % (next to Manhole: Feel So Good.)
This ranking of ongoing dramas (excluding weekend series from KBS2, MBC, and SBS) is based on the average nationwide ratings of the dramas’ episodes that aired until November 26, 2017.
Free-to-Air Dramas (dramas from KBS, MBC, and SBS)
- Witch’s Court – 10.2 %
- Temperature of Love – 8.0 %
- Nothing To Lose – 7.4 %
- Mad Dog – 6.3 %
- 20th Century Boy and Girl – 3.1 %
Cable Dramas (dramas from JTBC, OCN, and tvN)
- Prison Playbook – 5.010 %
- Because This Is My First Life – 3.379 %
- Black – 3.331 %
- Revolutionary Love – 2.918 %
- Untouchable – 2.808 %
(not available this week)
*The use of the charts above for whatever purpose is allowed provided that the content using the charts links back to this post or to www.kdramapal.com.
Suggested Content: The Highest-rated Korean Dramas in the 2nd Half of 2017