Three dramas aired their finale last week with Avengers Social Club ending with a bang as tvN’s 2nd highest-rated series so far in 2017. While You Were Sleeping, meanwhile, made its exit with decent but lower ratings than expected considering that MBC’s prime-time drama slot was still empty (and was filled by something else) and those cliffhangers which are actually pretty strong. On one hand, The Package achieved its highest rating albeit it did nothing to save its overall poor performance.
Date Network Drama Episode No. (/total) Rating
Nov 13 KBS2 Witch's Court 11/16 10.5
Nov 13 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 21/32 2.8
Nov 13 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 22/32 2.7
Nov 13 SBS Temperature of Love 31/32 5.8
Nov 13 SBS Temperature of Love 32/32 7.0
Nov 13 tvN Because This Is My First Life 11/16 3.528
Nov 14 KBS2 Witch's Court 12/16 11.9
Nov 14 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 23/32 3.4
Nov 14 MBC 20th Century Boy and Girl 24/32 3.0
Nov 14 SBS Temperature of Love 33/32 6.4
Nov 14 SBS Temperature of Love 34/32 7.3
Nov 14 tvN Because This Is My First Life 12/16 3.940
Nov 15 KBS2 Mad Dog 11/16 6.8
Nov 15 SBS While You Were Sleeping 29/32 8.1
Nov 15 SBS While You Were Sleeping 30/32 9.6
Nov 15 tvN Avengers Social Club 11/12 5.495
Nov 16 KBS2 Mad Dog 12/16 6.4
Nov 16 SBS While You Were Sleeping 31/32 8.7
Nov 16 SBS While You Were Sleeping 32/32 9.7
Nov 16 tvN Avengers Social Club 12/12 6.330
Nov 17 JTBC The Package 11/12 1.540
Nov 17 KBS2 Go Back Couple 11/16 5.4
Nov 18 JTBC The Package 12/12 2.381
Nov 18 KBS2 Go Back Couple 12/16 7.3
Nov 18 OCN Black 11/16 2.535
Nov 18 tvN Revolutionary Love 11/16 2.690
Nov 19 OCN Black 12/16 3.074
Nov 19 tvN Revolutionary Love 12/16 2.854
Korean Drama Rating Highlights
1. Avengers Social Club ends 6-week run as 2nd highest-rated 2017 tvN drama. It’s time for the Avengers to bid farewell to its audience that intently followed its short but successful broadcast. The series pulled in a final rating of 6.330 %, it’s all-time high record which comes third on the list of highest-rated tvN drama finale in 2017—next to Live Up To Your Name‘s 6.907 % and Secret Forest‘s 6.568 %. In terms of average ratings, however, the series beat Secret Forest‘s 4.562 % with its impressive 5.159 % and thus follows only Live Up To Your Name on this year’s viewership-based ranking of tvN dramas to date. Something in this revenge show has caught the attention of more viewers than expected.
2. While You Were Sleeping concludes broadcast with near 10 % rating. As far as TV ratings are concerned, While You Were Sleeping can’t be considered a megahit drama in South Korea as proved by its finale episode nationwide audience share of 9.7 %, the second highest rating it obtained over the past 8 weeks. Sure, this number is by no means small but it pales in comparison to known popular drama’s ending which got a whopping number, such as Descendants of the Sun‘ 38.8 % and Goblin‘s 18.7 %. Well, it’s not like the series HAS TO BE as high-rated as the mentioned hits, but given its potential to rule the viewership with its solid PD-writer pair and popular leads Lee Jong-suk and Suzy plus the fact that it was completely pre-produced (yeah, the cinematography and editing were gorgeous), one couldn’t help but expect at least a double-digit average for the drama. The series managed to reap only a modest 8.3 %, albeit it’s the second highest in last week’s ranking. Anyways, the drama has received positive reviews and so much love from the international viewers, so it’s a win for the production team after all!
3. Go Back Couple achieves new highest rating. This time-travel romance drama has broken its own record anew with the 7.3 % it obtained last week, which beats the previous all-time high record of 6.7 %. Its rating has been actually dropping steadily since episode 8 but the latest episode came to the rescue and slightly increased its average rating to 5.8 % (versus the previous week’s 5.7 %). If it will be able to surpass this record, then it will unseat Strongest Deliveryman from being the highest-rated Friday-Saturday KBS2 drama this year. Go Back Couple is the last drama to be aired during the said time slot (at least for this year) as the network seems unsatisfied with the results brought about by the shows.
4. The Package pulls off highest-rated broadcast during finale. Good and bad news welcome The Package‘s last week. If Avengers Social Club ended as the 2nd highest-rated tvN drama so far this year, The Package also concluded its run as the 2nd…the 2nd lowest-rated JTBC drama so far in 2017. At least, its 1.827 % average is a bit higher than Solomon’s Perjury‘s 1.190 % and somehow it got to enjoy its highest viewership in the last episode, at 2.381 %. JTBC’s winning streak (which started in February with Strong Woman Do Bong Soon) in drama viewership has been stopped because of this series. Nevertheless, the cable network should know that so many international fans admire the series’ unconventional storytelling with a heart and that it’s one of the most notable dramas JTBC has aired this year.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Beginning this week (November 20-26), we will now include the viewership data and highlights of weekend dramas from KBS2, MBC, and SBS in our database and weekly ratings update.
This ranking of ongoing dramas is based on the average nationwide ratings of the dramas’ episodes that aired until November 19, 2017.
Free-to-Air Dramas (dramas from KBS, MBC, and SBS)
- Witch’s Court – 10.0 %
- While You Were Sleeping – 8.3 %
- Temperature of Love – 8.1 %
- Mad Dog – 6.1 %
- Go Back Couple – 5.8 %
- 20th Century Boy and Girl – 3.2 %
Cable Dramas (dramas from JTBC, OCN, and tvN)
- Avengers Social Club – 5.159 %
- Black – 3.422 %
- Because This Is My First Life – 3.294 %
- Revolutionary Love – 2.963 %
- The Package – 1.827 %
*The use of the charts above for whatever purpose is allowed provided that the content using the charts links back to this post or to www.kdramapal.com.