Last week saw Live Up To Your Name solidifying its status as a popular weekend cable drama that draws the attention of more viewers in each new episode. The time-slip medical-sageuk series has nearly overtaken Secret Forest‘s achievement of having recorded the highest-rated episode among tvN dramas this year. In contrast, Manhole: Feel So Good suffered the biggest setback to date, bringing about a number that has never even been seen by the lowest-rated free-to-air drama in 2016.Korean Drama Rating from August 28 to September 3, 2017. All rating values are based on nationwide viewership data from Nielsen Korea.
|Date||Network||Drama||Episode No. (/total)||Rating|
|Aug 28||KBS||School 2017||13/16||4.3|
|Aug 28||MBC||The King Loves||25/40||6.4|
|Aug 28||MBC||The King Loves||26/40||6.4|
|Aug 29||KBS||School 2017||14/16||4.4|
|Aug 29||MBC||The King Loves||27/40||6.9|
|Aug 29||MBC||The King Loves||28/40||7.1|
|Aug 30||KBS||Manhole: Feel So Good||7/16||2.0|
|Aug 30||MBC||Hospital Ship||1/32||10.6|
|Aug 30||MBC||Hospital Ship||2/32||12.4|
|Aug 30||SBS||Reunited Worlds||25/32||5.4|
|Aug 30||SBS||Reunited Worlds||26/32||6.8|
|Aug 30||tvN||Criminal Minds||11/16||2.036|
|Aug 31||KBS||Manhole: Feel So Good||8/16||1.4|
|Aug 31||MBC||Hospital Ship||3/32||8.9|
|Aug 31||MBC||Hospital Ship||4/32||10.7|
|Aug 31||SBS||Reunited Worlds||27/32||6.3|
|Aug 31||SBS||Reunited Worlds||28/32||6.5|
|Aug 31||tvN||Criminal Minds||12/16||2.514|
|Sep 1||KBS||Strongest Deliveryman||9/16||5.2|
|Sep 1||JTBC||Age of Youth 2||3/12||1.657|
|Sep 2||KBS||Strongest Deliveryman||10/16||6.5|
|Sep 2||JTBC||Age of Youth 2||4/12||2.431|
|Sep 2||OCN||Save Me||9/16||2.433|
|Sep 2||tvN||Live Up To Your Name||7/16||5.541|
|Sep 3||OCN||Save Me||10/16||3.028|
|Sep 3||tvN||Live Up To Your Name||8/16||6.357|
Korean Drama Rating Highlights
1. Live Up To Your Name breaks through 6 % mark. The time travel medical drama on tvN finally recorded a remarkable 6.357 % in ratings, surpassing the record of hit Secret Forest that managed to achieve over 6 % only on its last episode. Surely, tvN’s executives are all smiles due to this achievement that is slowly covering up the slump in ratings it went through in the first half of the year. Meanwhile, Kim Ah-joong, the lead female actress of the series, sure knows how to choose a good project. She was courted by the same network to play the leading role in the currently airing Criminal Minds, but she declined the offer and ended up taking Live Up To Your Name instead. The drama’s recent achievement in viewer ratings can be attributed to its interesting storyline and effective cliffhangers.
2. Hospital Ship premieres with double-digit rating. MBC’s first medical drama this year started off its run with 10.6 % and 12.4 %, becoming the sixth drama in 2017 to premiere with ratings surpassing 10 %. The rating dropped to 8.9 % in the following episode but recovered right away to end the first week with an impressive 10.7 %. The 3.5 percentage point-drop in rating in the third episode was rather unexpected but if the general upward trend continues, the hospital ship can be expected to have a smooth voyage throughout.
3. Age of Youth 2 drops to 1.6 % but pulls off highest rating the next day. The youth drama suddenly lost 0.75 percentage point on its third episode versus the previous one, recording a dismal 1.657 %. Fortunately, it recovered in the following episode and achieved its highest rating to date of 2.431 %. With this development, the drama still holds the potential to become another rating hit for cable network JTBC.
4. Manhole: Feel So Good records all-time low rating below 2%. Manhole managed to maintain its 2 % rating despite competing with Hospital Ship‘s solid premiere but it finally dropped to 1.4 % in the following episode, becoming the first ever free-to-air drama since 2016 to record a nationwide rating below 2 %. Poor Manhole, it’s going to suffer more if Hospital Ship continues to dominate the competition and when the star-studded While You Were Sleeping premieres on September 27.
5. Save Me surpasses 3 %. OCN just proved anew that it’s no more the underdog cable network as far as TV ratings are concerned. Its latest cult thriller Save Me recorded 3.028 % on its latest episode and its past records show that it is very likely to achieve even higher ratings in the coming weeks.
6. Criminal Minds posts lowest rating since premiere. The Korean remake of the hit US TV series of the same name started its run with a record-breaking rating but has since then just hovering around 3 %. Last week saw its lowest rating so far, at 2.036 %. Although this is still a decent value by cable TV standards, the overall negative trend in ratings means no good news for tvN.
7. Strongest Deliveryman fails to sustain momentum. The rating of KBS’s Friday-Saturday drama decreased to 5.2 % a week after it achieved over 7 %. However, this improved to 6.5 % in the following episode, suggesting that the drama can still rise up in ratings and surpass 7 % once again.
This ranking of ongoing dramas is based on the average nationwide ratings of the dramas’ episodes that aired until September 3, 2017.
Free-to-Air Dramas (dramas from KBS, MBC, and SBS)
- Falsify – 11.0 %
- Hospital Ship – 10.7 %
- The King Loves – 6.7 %
- Reunited Worlds – 6.7 %
- Strongest Deliveryman – 5.6 %
- School 2017 – 4.5 %
- Manhole: Feel So Good – 2.2 %
Cable Dramas (dramas from JTBC, OCN, and tvN)
- Live Up To Your Name – 4.889 %
- Criminal Minds – 2.913 %
- Age of Youth 2 – 2.180 %
- Save Me – 2.050 %
*One is welcome to use the charts above for whatever purpose provided that he/she links back to this post or to www.kdramapal.com.