Man Who Dies To Live took center stage in last week’s changes in ratings as it aired its finale with an impressive double-digit achievement. Given this, I thought Manhole: Feel So Good would really drop to less than 2 % but to my surprise, it managed to surpass that number. Strongest Deliveryman and Save Me also recorded their all-time high ratings since they premiered, and I love it because both shows premiered on the same week and offer a relatively fresh topic in Kdramaland, so they definitely deserve attention. (Note: All TV rating values in this article are based on nationwide rating data from Nielsen Korea)Korean Drama Rating from August 21 to 27, 2017. All rating values are based on nationwide viewership data from Nielsen Korea.
|Date||Network||Drama||Episode No. (/total)||Rating|
|Aug 21||KBS||School 2017||11/16||4.7|
|Aug 21||MBC||The King Loves||21/40||6.2|
|Aug 21||MBC||The King Loves||22/40||7.0|
|Aug 21||tvN||Bride of the Water God||15/16||2.211|
|Aug 22||KBS||School 2017||12/16||4.1|
|Aug 22||MBC||The King Loves||23/40||7.2|
|Aug 22||MBC||The King Loves||24/40||7.7|
|Aug 22||tvN||Bride of the Water God||16/16||3.158|
|Aug 23||KBS||Manhole: Feel So Good||5/16||2.0|
|Aug 23||MBC||Man Who Dies To Live||21/24||10.7|
|Aug 23||MBC||Man Who Dies To Live||22/24||12.8|
|Aug 23||SBS||Reunited Worlds||21/32||5.6|
|Aug 23||SBS||Reunited Worlds||22/32||6.7|
|Aug 23||tvN||Criminal Minds||9/16||2.292|
|Aug 24||KBS||Manhole: Feel So Good||6/16||2.1|
|Aug 24||MBC||Man Who Dies To Live||23/24||12.0|
|Aug 24||MBC||Man Who Dies To Live||24/24||14.0|
|Aug 24||SBS||Reunited Worlds||23/32||5.9|
|Aug 24||SBS||Reunited Worlds||24/32||7.1|
|Aug 24||tvN||Criminal Minds||10/16||3.140|
|Aug 25||KBS||Strongest Deliveryman||7/16||6.2|
|Aug 25||JTBC||Age of Youth 2||1/12||2.228|
|Aug 26||KBS||Strongest Deliveryman||8/16||7.2|
|Aug 26||JTBC||Age of Youth 2||2/12||2.405|
|Aug 26||OCN||Save Me||7/16||2.251|
|Aug 26||tvN||Live Up To Your Name||5/16||4.347|
|Aug 27||OCN||Save Me||8/16||2.960|
|Aug 27||tvN||Live Up To Your Name||6/16||5.617|
Korean Drama Rating Highlights
1. Man Who Dies To Live achieves all-time high rating during finale. The hit Wednesday-Thursday MBC drama ended its 6-week run on a high note, recording its highest rating of 14.0 % for its finale and securing a double-digit average rating of 10.3 %. I did not really expect this drama to be this successful but it went on to become the third highest-rated MBC drama so far this year following Ruler: Master of the Mask and Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People.
2. Strongest Deliveryman breaks through 7 %. Halfway through its run, Strongest Deliveryman managed to achieve 7.2 %, its highest rating to date since it premiered about three weeks ago. This is quite a good development for KBS which has been planning to stop broadcasting dramas on the Friday-Saturday slot on the ground of low ratings. The drama has the potential to achieve even higher numbers in the coming weeks and if it continues this trend, perhaps the Friday-Saturday slot may continue to see mini-series targeted for the relatively younger audience. The Best Hit was the first one to be broadcast on the said schedule this year and the result was a disappointing average rating of 3.8 %.
3. Save Me nearly surpasses 3 % in ratings. The cult thriller from OCN also achieved its highest rating of 2.960 % halfway through its run. This number is almost thrice as high as its pilot episode rating of 1.059 % and suggests that OCN is on track again of delivering dramas that viewers anticipate to watch week after week.
4. Age of Youth 2 comes back with modest but promising rating. The second season of the sleeper hit drama last year finally premiered last week, achieving a pilot episode rating that is not very impressive nor disappointing—2.228 %. This number increased to 2.405 % in the second episode which signals a likely smooth run similar to its three predecessors.
5. Weekday tvN dramas record their lowest ratings. Bride of the Water God posted its lowest rating of 2.211 % amid its final week. The series gained 0.947 percentage point in the following and final episode, ending its 8-week run with 3.158 % and obtaining an average of 3.112 %. Likewise, Criminal Minds recorded its lowest rating of 2.292 % on its 9th episode but gained 0.848 percentage point in the next episode to end the week at 3.040 %.
6. School 2017 records all-time low rating anew. The youth drama continues to suffer from poor ratings which last week fell down to 4.1 %, the lowest rating it recorded once already in its fourth episode.
7. Manhole: Feel So Good hovers around 2 %. This can be considered a good news after all, especially if one considers that Man Who Dies To Live rose to its peak rating last week. It’s now safe to say that Manhole‘s safe already from going down to 1 % unless the upcoming Hospital Ship will dominate the competition with even higher double-digit ratings.
This ranking of ongoing dramas is based on the average nationwide ratings of the dramas’ episodes that aired until August 27, 2017.
Free-to-Air Dramas (dramas from KBS, MBC, and SBS)
- Falsify – 11.1 %
- Man Who Dies To Live – 10.3 %
- Reunited Worlds – 6.8 %
- The King Loves – 6.7 %
- Strongest Deliveryman – 5.5 %
- School 2017 – 4.5 %
- Manhole: Feel So Good – 2.4 %
Cable Dramas (dramas from JTBC, OCN, and tvN)
- Live Up To Your Name – 4.536 %
- Bride of the Water God – 3.112 %
- Criminal Minds – 3.040 %
- Age of Youth 2 – 2.317 %
- Save Me – 1.880 %
*One is welcome to use the charts above for whatever purpose provided that he/she links back to this post or to www.kdramapal.com.