For those who don’t know what’s happening, this post is part of a post series that ranks kdramas based on their viewership ratings. We’re releasing two dramas (one each for FTA and cable TV) per day until the top 10 list is completed on January 26. And now we’re on the 9th place which Jealousy Incarnate and Let’s Fight Ghost managed to hold in their respective categories.
Free-to-Air TV Top 9: Jealousy Incarnate (10.51 %)
Two SBS dramas that are included in this year’s Dramatop consist of 24 episodes and one of them is in the top 10. We’re talking about Jealousy Incarnate, the romantic comedy starring Gong Hyo-jin (The Producers), Jo Jung-suk (Oh My Ghostess), and Go Kyung-pyo (Reply 1988). It started while two popular dramas – Uncontrollably Fond and W-Two Worlds – were still airing on other networks, but it didn’t allow these shows to make itself the underdog in the ratings game. In fact, it was performing better than Uncontrollably Fond and although it didn’t beat out W, the ratings gap between them is not so wide at 2.6%. All these say that while many viewers were going gaga about Kim Woo-bin’s drama and Lee Jong-suk’s world, others did not forget about Jealousy‘s existence. It reached its highest rating at episode 10 but failed to obtain more viewers in the remaining episodes. However, its episode ratings averaged out to 10.51 %, making itself one of the only 9 weekday prime-time FTA dramas in 2016 whose average ratings surpassed 10 %.
Director: Park Shin-woo & Lee Jun-heum Writer: Seo Sook-hyang Main Cast: Gong Hyo-jin, Jo Jung-suk, Go Kyung-pyo & Lee Mi-sook Broadcast Period: August 24 – November 10, 2016 (Wed-Thu) Time-slot Rivals: Uncontrollably Fond, On the Way to the Airport, W-Two Worlds & Shopping King Louis
Cable TV Top 9: Let’s Fight Ghost (3.39 %)
Like 38 Task Force, our top 9 in cable TV aired for 8 weeks without rivals. The Mon-Tue dramas on KBS, MBC, and SBS starts at 10 pm, so Let’s Fight Ghost starting at 11 pm is a good thing. 38 Task Force managed to get an average rating of 3.34%, so this show coming up with 3.39% means the competition between the two in this ranking is pretty close. For that reason let’s compare the two. Let’s Fight Ghost premiered with 4.055%, a pretty high number compared to 38 Task Force‘s 1.577%. This difference could be due to the combined popularity of Kim So-hyun (School 2015) and Taecyeon (Assembly), which surely beats out that of Seo In-guk (Remember You) and Ma Dong-suk (Bad Guys). When we look at the general trend though, the ups and downs in Ghost make it less interesting over time as compared to Task Force‘s generally increasing trend which could be attributed to its badass writing. And if we look at the finale, Ghost‘s 4.31% is lower than Task Force‘s 4.56%. Should their rankings be reversed then? That can’t be done because all rankings here are based on the dramas’ AVERAGE nationwide ratings, which makes Ghost the winner after all.
Director: Park Joon-hwa & Myung Hyun-woo Writer: Lee Dae-il Main Cast: Ok Taec-yeon, Kim So-hyun & Kwon Yul Broadcast Period: July 11 – August 30, 2016 (Mon-Tue)
To see all the list of rankings on one page, go to the Korean Drama Rankings 2016.
(Dramatop: Korean Drama Rankings 2016 is a Kdramapal post series that ranks kdramas based on their nationwide average viewership ratings from Nielsen Korea. It includes in its ranking only prime time dramas that air from Monday to Saturday. We ensure the accuracy of our ranking result by collecting data directly from Nielsen Korea’s website and other reliable sources. If you have feedback or questions regarding the rankings and this post series in general, you can send them to [email protected], message us via Facebook, or comment on the post below.)
- Dramatop Introduction: 50 kdramas included in 2016 ranking
- Monster, 38 Task Force join the top 10 dramas of 2016
- Jealousy Incarnate, Let’s Fight Ghost ranks 9th among 2016 dramas
- W, Drinking Solo rank 8th among 2016 dramas
- Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho, The Good Wife occupy 7th place
- Remember, The K2 place 6th in top dramas of 2016
- Legend of the Blue Sea, Dear My Friends rank 5th among 2016 dramas
- Moonlight Drawn by Clouds, Cheese in the Trap secure status as 4th highest rated drama in 2016
- Doctors, Oh Hae Young Again rank third among 2016 kdramas
- Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim, Signal hold record as 2nd highest rated drama in 2016
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin achieve highest TV ratings among kdramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated KBS dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated MBC dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated SBS dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Mon-Tue dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Wed-Thu dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Fri-Sat dramas in 2016
- Legend of the Blue Sea, Goblin top drama ranking based on first episode ratings
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin top drama ranking based on final episode ratings
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin still no. 1 in drama ranking based on peak ratings
- Complete ranking of Korean dramas in 2016 based on viewer ratings