So far SBS have three dramas on our top 10 list for FTA television while KBS and MBC have two dramas each. Today’s announcement makes the total drama count of SBS to four because Doctors is the third highest rated prime-time show of 2016. In cable TV, meanwhile, all but one dramas announced are from tvN and so are the remaining three that occupy the third, second and first place. Oh Hae Young Again got the third place and perhaps you already have a most likely correct guess as to which dramas would rank first and second.
Free-to-Air TV Top 3: Doctors (18.41 %)
Among the dramas in 2016, Doctors is probably the one with the most boring title. But this boring title did not stop the viewers from watching it, thanks to popular actress Park Shin-hye and her unusual role as a doctor who knows how to kick and beat bad guys. The drama had a strong start with 12.9% and kept improving in the following weeks. Episodes 6 to 14 remained within the 18-20% range until episode 15 finally surpassed the coveted 20%. There was a drop in ratings for episodes 18 and 19 but the drama still ended successfully with 20.2%. All episode ratings averaged out to 18.41%, which makes Moonlight Drawn By Clouds (18.29%) a very close contender for the top 3 spot.
Director: Oh Choong-hwan Writer: Ha Myung-hee Main Cast: Kim Rae-woon, Park Shin-hye, Yoon Kyun-sang & Lee Sung-kyung Broadcast Period: June 20 – August 23, 2016 (Mon-Tue) Time-slot Rivals: Beautiful Mind & Monster
Cable TV Top 3: Oh Hae Young Again (6.88 %)
From now on we will see relatively drastic changes in average ratings for the remaining cable dramas. If Cheese in the Trap got 5.96% on average, Oh Hae Young Again got 6.88%. Again, we’re talking about cable TV here, so Oh Hae Young getting more than 6% on average means it’s a big hit for tvN. It’s interesting to see that it didn’t even start with a big bang (pilot episode ratings is just about 2%), but it managed to climb up the ladder of success by continuously capturing more viewers (and higher ratings) every after episode for six weeks straight. No other 2016 cable drama has this kind of amazing record! Its 7th and 8th week saw a slight drop in ratings but it still ended on a high note at 9.99%.
Director: Song Hyun-wook & Lee Jong-jae Writer: Park Hae-young & Wi So-young Main Cast: Eric Mun & Seo Hyun-jin Broadcast Period: May 2- June 28, 2016 (Mon-Tue)
To see all the list of rankings on one page, go the Korean Drama Rankings 2016.
(Dramatop: Korean Drama Rankings 2016 is a Kdramapal post series that ranks kdramas based on their nationwide average viewership ratings from Nielsen Korea. It includes in its ranking only prime time dramas that air from Monday to Saturday. We ensure the accuracy of our ranking result by collecting data directly from Nielsen Korea’s website and other reliable sources. If you have feedback or questions regarding the rankings and this post series in general, you can send them to [email protected], message us via Facebook, or comment on the post below.)
- Dramatop Introduction: 50 kdramas included in 2016 ranking
- Monster, 38 Task Force join the top 10 dramas of 2016
- Jealousy Incarnate, Let’s Fight Ghost ranks 9th among 2016 dramas
- W, Drinking Solo rank 8th among 2016 dramas
- Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho, The Good Wife occupy 7th place
- Remember, The K2 place 6th in top dramas of 2016
- Legend of the Blue Sea, Dear My Friends rank 5th among 2016 dramas
- Moonlight Drawn by Clouds, Cheese in the Trap secure status as 4th highest rated drama in 2016
- Doctors, Oh Hae Young Again rank third among 2016 kdramas
- Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim, Signal hold record as 2nd highest rated drama in 2016
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin achieve highest TV ratings among kdramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated KBS dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated MBC dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated SBS dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Mon-Tue dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Wed-Thu dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Fri-Sat dramas in 2016
- Legend of the Blue Sea, Goblin top drama ranking based on first episode ratings
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin top drama ranking based on final episode ratings
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin still no. 1 in drama ranking based on peak ratings
- Complete ranking of Korean dramas in 2016 based on viewer ratings