KBS may have Descendants of the Sun to boost the combined average nationwide ratings of its 10 dramas, but DOTS is not enough to beat SBS whose 5 out of 10 shows are included in the list of 10 highest-rated dramas in 2016. These five shows make SBS the winner among the three big networks when they are compared based on the ratings of the dramas they produced last year.
That being said, the top 5 dramas of SBS are the same as those you have (probably) seen in our ranking of top dramas in the free-to-air category (see related links below). Thanks to these shows, the combined average ratings of all the dramas from the network is 11.74% (KBS-10.39%, MBC-7.56%).
Medical dramas are on the two highest spots on this list. A noteworthy fact of the rankings also reveals that the highest-rated drama of each network has a doctor as a major character. The three main characters in Romantic Doctor are doctors, and so are Oh Yeon-joo in W-Two Worlds (MBC) and Kang Mo-yeon in Descendants of the Sun (KBS). Ohhhhhh. Does that make 2016 the year of medical dramas and doctors?
5th highest-rated SBS drama: Jealousy Incarnate (10.51 %)
Romantic comedies are almost always (if not at all times) part of the annual drama lineup of each network. SBS has three certified romcoms in 2016 including Jealousy Incarnate. I’ve watched over 30 kdramas already but this is the only one among them with a wedding in the final episode.
4th highest-rated SBS drama: Remember (15.00 %)
A perfect 15.00%? That makes the average ratings of Remember easy to remember, right? Do you remember this drama? It’s the first Wed-Thu drama of the network in 2016 so I could understand if you don’t. The hero of the story has a hyperthymesia, a condition that allows him to remember almost everything in perfect detail.
3rd highest-rated SBS drama: Legend of the Blue Sea (17.60 %)
In general, people would say that Legend of the Blue Sea is OK. They liked and enjoyed it, but they’re not sure if they could remember this drama in, let’s say, one year from now. It’s not bad, but others complain about the slow development of the story and lack of chemistry between the mermaid and the con-artist.
2nd highest-rated SBS drama: Doctors (18.41 %)
Serious question: why did SBS allow this drama to be simply called Doctors? You might have heard the reason and decide to comment on this post below (so thanks!). Anyway, Doctors was really popular during its run, thanks to Park Shin-hye who accepted the challenge to play the role of a neurosurgeon who literally knows how to operate on people’s brains and fight gangsters.
Highest-rated SBS drama: Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim (20.39 %)
Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim is the highest-rated SBS drama in 2016 (and the second highest overall). The first episode of this drama is fast-paced and wastes no time in making a boring introduction. It won the most number of awards in the annual drama awards ceremony of the network, including the Grand Prize for actor Han Seok-kyu.
To see all the list of rankings in 2016, go to the Korean Drama Rankings 2016.
(Dramatop: Korean Drama Rankings 2016 is a Kdramapal post series that ranks kdramas based on their nationwide average viewership ratings from Nielsen Korea. It includes in its ranking only prime time dramas that air from Monday to Saturday. We ensure the accuracy of our ranking result by collecting data directly from Nielsen Korea’s website and other reliable sources. If you have feedback or questions regarding the rankings and this post series in general, you can send them to [email protected], message us via Facebook, or comment on the post below.)
(Source of images: SBS)
- Dramatop Introduction: 50 kdramas included in 2016 ranking
- Monster, 38 Task Force join the top 10 dramas of 2016
- Jealousy Incarnate, Let’s Fight Ghost ranks 9th among 2016 dramas
- W, Drinking Solo rank 8th among 2016 dramas
- Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho, The Good Wife occupy 7th place
- Remember, The K2 place 6th in top dramas of 2016
- Legend of the Blue Sea, Dear My Friends rank 5th among 2016 dramas
- Moonlight Drawn by Clouds, Cheese in the Trap secure status as 4th highest rated drama in 2016
- Doctors, Oh Hae Young Again rank third among 2016 kdramas
- Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim, Signal hold record as 2nd highest rated drama in 2016
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin achieve highest TV ratings among kdramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated KBS dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated MBC dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated SBS dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Mon-Tue dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Wed-Thu dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Fri-Sat dramas in 2016
- Legend of the Blue Sea, Goblin top drama ranking based on first episode ratings
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin top drama ranking based on final episode ratings
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin still no. 1 in drama ranking based on peak ratings
- Complete ranking of Korean dramas in 2016 based on viewer ratings