- Dramatop Introduction: 50 kdramas included in 2016 ranking
- Monster, 38 Task Force join the top 10 dramas of 2016
- Jealousy Incarnate, Let’s Fight Ghost ranks 9th among 2016 dramas
- W, Drinking Solo rank 8th among 2016 dramas
- Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho, The Good Wife occupy 7th place
- Remember, The K2 place 6th in top dramas of 2016
- Legend of the Blue Sea, Dear My Friends rank 5th among 2016 dramas
- Moonlight Drawn by Clouds, Cheese in the Trap secure status as 4th highest rated drama in 2016
- Doctors, Oh Hae Young Again rank third among 2016 kdramas
- Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim, Signal hold record as 2nd highest rated drama in 2016
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin achieve highest TV ratings among kdramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated KBS dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated MBC dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated SBS dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Mon-Tue dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Wed-Thu dramas in 2016
- 5 highest-rated Fri-Sat dramas in 2016
- Legend of the Blue Sea, Goblin top drama ranking based on first episode ratings
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin top drama ranking based on final episode ratings
- Descendants of the Sun, Goblin still no. 1 in drama ranking based on peak ratings
- Complete ranking of Korean dramas in 2016 based on viewer ratings
We just completed yesterday the top 10 list of kdramas that dominated 2016 in terms of TV ratings, so now we move on to the top 5 dramas from KBS, MBC, and SBS. We are not including a separate ranking for tvN because the five highest-rated shows are basically the same as the first five dramas on the top 10 list for cable TV.
KBS produced 10 dramas last year, including the biggest hit Descendants of the Sun. Of these 10 shows, only three are on the 10 highest-rated list (which you know already if you have read our previous posts). What about the seven others? How do they compare to the top 3 in terms of ratings? We won’t mention the bottom 5 dramas, but we assure you that the bottom 3 really suck at attracting viewers with a combined average ratings of 4.33%.
5th highest-rated KBS drama: On the Way to the Airport (8.36 %)
A melodrama about two people who meet as strangers and become involved in each other’s lives, On the Way to the Airport deals with the complicated and problematic affair that is to fall in love with someone who is already married. There’s intense kissing scene, uhm.
4th highest-rated KBS drama: Uncontrollably Fond (9.41 %)
The much-hyped Uncontrollably Fond is probably one of the biggest disappointments in 2016, but that is mainly because the expectation of many viewers was just too high. This melodrama tells the story of two people who were separated during their teenage years but meet again several years later. The guy has a terminal disease though, ouch.
3rd highest-rated KBS drama: Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho (12.88 %)
Neighborhood was such a hit that KBS wanted to extend it by a few more episodes (but didn’t happen due to conflicts with Park Shin-yang’s schedule). The hero lawyer in this drama fights for the people and protect the law. This is a legal drama led by an ahjussi, so don’t expect some hot romance.
2nd highest-rated KBS drama: Moonlight Drawn by Clouds (18.29 %)
Moonlight made Park Bo-gum a superstar in the Korean entertainment industry. It tells the story of a Joseon crown prince who takes over his father’s role as the king and falls in love with a cross-dressing lady who serves him as a eunuch.
Highest-rated KBS drama: Descendants of the Sun (28.58 %)
What else should be said other than the fact that Descendants of the Sun is the highest-rated drama in 2016? The director and writer of this drama are also the director and writer of Goblin, the highest-rated kdrama in Korean cable television history.
To see all the list of rankings on one page, go the Korean Drama Rankings 2016.
(Dramatop: Korean Drama Rankings 2016 is a Kdramapal post series that ranks kdramas based on their nationwide average viewership ratings from Nielsen Korea. It includes in its ranking only prime time dramas that air from Monday to Saturday. We ensure the accuracy of our ranking result by collecting data directly from Nielsen Korea’s website and other reliable sources. If you have feedback or questions regarding the rankings and this post series in general, you can send them to firstname.lastname@example.org, message us via Facebook, or comment on the post below.)
(Source of images: KBS)